Interesting Stories and Articles
We are using this page to bring to your notice any interesting articles and stories that we are sent.
The first article we have concerns animal cruelty and how to report it, by writer Beverley Saunders.
* * * * *
REPORTING ANIMAL CRUELTY
There are increasing numbers of animal cruelty cases, and people coming across them often don't know how to make an official complaint (denuncia) to the Police.
Seprona, the environmental arm of the Guardia Civil, has given the Costa Animal Society this set of guidelines on what to do. There are laws to protect animals from cruelty. They cannot complain when they need food or water, have no shelter from the sun or rain, or have been tied up on a short chain and then forgotten.
But we can speak for them. Please help:
1. Go to your local Civil Guard base (Guardia Civil cuartel). Neither the local Police nor the National Police handle complaints of this kind.
2. Take as much written information with you as you can. Names, addresses and a map showing where the animal is will help the officers to investigate your complaint.
3. If you don't speak Spanish, get someone who does to go with you or contact your local animal welfare society for help or information.
4. The Guardia Civil will give you a copy of the denuncia, and their copy will be given to Seprona for investigation.
5. Only Seprona will investigate.
6. With your copy of the denuncia, it can be followed up later.
* * * * *